Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Rainy Day, and Donations

January is just as good of time as ever to start talking about getting rid of Junk.
This coming from the self- proclaimed, More is More girl!
It all started with a trip to my Mom's. After becoming a widow, she waxed poetically about missing her mate. So she started renovating another family home a few short hours away. She had enough Stuff to fill both bungalows, but she kept on buying.
In an effort to keep the cabinets from tipping over, I went over to help her hone down.
I wasn't prepared for how emotional it all would be.
She had a connection to everything, and didn't want to donate Anything. There was my Mother arguing with me that one(of the 4!!) sets of measuring cups clogging her drawer, worked better than the other. That the set of wooden spoons was purchased at the Pamida up north before my Grandmother passed. It was exhausting. Our roles were suddenly reversed. I was talking her through things she should be saying to me. I begun to make her decide, would she rather have, The memory, or the measuring cups? The spoons or the satisfaction of knowing how many times she used them with her own Mom. And when it came down to it, wouldn't she prefer to provide someone with something, than to have several?
We didn't get through every drawer, but we started to make a dent.
And when I got home, I started to take matters into my own hands.
I started to look around at all the sh*t and think about why I had it all.
I went from living in a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house, to a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house. And after the recent #farmhouse renovation, I had room for it all again, but didn't want it. 
All those DVD's? Except for my 3-4 favorites, I stacked in a sack.
The set of 4 glasses, that stood as 3 after one shattered? Shipped out. And all those travel cups that would tip over under the sink? Sayonara. #aintnobodygottimefordat
Call me crazy, but I #can'teven deal with all the Crap.
Just because I have a Basset Hound, doesn't mean I need a mug with one on it.
And despite having the middle name of Robin, doesn't reserve the right for anyone to give me ridiculous amounts of ornithology related goods. 
This year I'm cleaning out a lot more than my closet, and the Donations will do someone Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment