Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Jet Blue Moment

I Almost gave it away today.
Almost.
Someone almost got my Jet Blue Moment. 
If you're unfamiliar with the phonom, just Google, "Jet Blue Stewardess"
Then you'll know, this girl Ain't goin down without some words.
You see I've been working for the better 1/2 of this life, correction, since that 1st job as a caddy at 13. Yes, 13, and if you're about to ask how I carried the bags, Have you seen my man arms? And in that lifetime, most of it has been spent servicing others. If you've ever been part of This industry, you know Exactly where I'm going with this. 
 
It's a Sunday, and we've been open for approximately 7 hours. 
Less than 30 minutes before close you suddenly decide to meander around and visit your local retailer. No real need in mind and no real direction in tow. And definitely no regard for when the businesses will be closing. Never mind there's no one else around. You figure the world is Your Oyster! Your pre-pubescent boys find it funny to flip stacks of shirts around and table surf across freed spaces. Your husband decides to start dissecting his less than decent wardrobe, all after the store has officially closed.
 
And then you ask, "What Time do the stores close?" "Ohh at 6?? When did you start closing at 6??"
And I love what comes next...
"20 years ago"
We started closing at 6pm 20 years ago. And before that? These stores were not open on Sundays.
I'm not sure what you were So Busy doing the Other 6 hours of the day, but I was here. And I'd like to go home now to My family. Because guess what? When I'm not there, I'm here. And when you come in 10 minutes before I go home, it's like this:
 
Imagine, you at your desk.
It's Friday afternoon. You've cleared your desk. You've crossed all things off your To Do list. You've called home and told you family, just a few moments left and you'll be on the way for a long weekend.
Then,,
You're boss walks in. Your boss walk in at 4:40pm and wants to discuss the Spring initiative. Or perhaps wants to banter about a breech in a project 2 months out. He may even want to review the research you (haven't even started) for a really intense assignment.
And the entire time you're thinking, "Really? All this could not have come hours or days earlier?"And you Can't Go Anywhere. Your stuck. What was going on, on Tuesday? Is keeping me here late even a consideration of yours?
 
That's what its like.
 
So on this day, I decided to keep it decent and Save my Jet Blue moment.
But there will be a time.
I may not crack a beer, and there may not be a chute for me to slide down, but I will have some words to say, that may be remembered across town.
So the next time, you decide to stop on a dime, and go somewhere, without a whole lot of time.
Just remember, the person in front of you has, cleared off their desk, called their family, and just wants to be on their way
Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment