Saturday, September 12, 2015

From France to the Fox & Hounds

"Go Ahead, order it", he said.
He had said it a few times before, but more in a defeatist sort of way.
And prior to this night, I would have felt like I was taken advantage of the offer.
Taking advantage of a defeatist moment, a weak moment, a 2 cocktails in moment.
Or maybe I felt like I hadn't suffered enough,,,more on that later.
He had said it a few times before,  
Many of you have asked,
"When did the monogramming start?"
Maybe 30-ish some odd years ago. See if you've been following along on this little Bloggity, you'd know that I have 2 older sisters. By the time I got their hand- me -downs, they were more down and OUT, as in out of style.
So when the rare occasion came to receive something of my very own, my Momma made sure it was a special occasion.
I've often Hashtagged, #yankeebymarriage, because that was exactly what her and her mother were. Traditionally raised women of the south, that only moved north for the man of their Dreams. My mother married for 50 years to my father, and my grandmother married to my grandfather for over 75.
 
 
So they Monogrammed.
And if I was lucky enough to be able to wear a jacket, or have a sweater for school picture day, she made sure it had my initials freshly sewn on. 
So when the offer came up again, and our 3rd anniversary was looming in the near future,  I decided to indeed get that order blooming. My inner traditionalist loves the fact that 3rd year anniversary gift is leather. And believe me, when I asked around, I got plenty of "ideas".
 
When we were placing the order, something extraordinary happened that I'll never forget.
Its a big decision to order a handbag that runs about as much as a mortgage payment. It's an even bigger decision to have someone hand paint your initials on it. So when P asked me, what initials I would choose, I gave it a few thoughts. Your maiden name, is where you begin, an who you'll always be. Even though None of us plan for the worst, I can say I've been through some of That. And would I want my DDR there to lean back on?
And then P asks, what about having my Dads monogram put on it, so he'd always be with me. That's the extraordinary part. He comes out of no where, and shocks the hell out of me. What man that allows someone to take his married name, would offer that? The Right one.
So DGD it is, and was, and will be.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment