Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Love your Mother

This past Sunday we celebrated Mother's Day. Prior to that, I started thinking about my own relationship with my Mom and how that has progressed throughout the years And after marinating about it for several days, of course I have a Statement to make:
If you don't have a good relationship with your Mom, it's not her fault, it's Yours.
Yes, as an adult, if you have not made amends for what ever she has done or hasn't done for you at this point in your lifetime, yeah,, it's time to let That go.
 
I didn't have the relationship that I do now with my Mom until into my 20's. It took Me moving more than 1,000 miles away for me to grow up and understand that I needed her, and I also needed to be able to tell her that. Because like anyone else in your life, you may take for granted the things you Think they know, but it never hurts to still verbalize it and tell them.
My relationship works best with my mom when we live about an hour in between us. She's either going at 100mph, or crawling at 25, and on those days her lack of motivation drives me nuts. Don't even get me started on re- arranging her cupboards. it's the first thing I do upon entering her home. I have found that the distance works best because, it's close enough if you had to get there quickly you could, but just far enough away to keep a casual drop by at bay.  Years ago I had the option of taking a job that was based in my hometown, or kept me hundreds of miles away. I had no plan of returning down the yellow brick road, however, it led me home.
I have known several girls who have quite the strained relationship with their Mother's. And most commonly the direct link to the dysfunction was the daughter, holding onto a whole lotta happenings in the past. I am fortunate to have this time and place with this woman, the last thing I'm going to do is hold her hostage for something I have sore feelings about.
 
Like in other relationships, sometimes you have to take on a different role.
The bigger person, the better person. Take the high road, the slow boat.
What ever your route is, remember to (sometimes) take the road less traveled, and man up to
Love your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment