Saturday, February 28, 2015

Burn Baby Burn

It was a Great sentiment..but I cannot believe he write on our floor in permanent marker!! Even if he was about to cut the floor away for the tile,,Still! 
As elements of nature, I would say I prefer fire over water.
I live right by and drive past daily a significant body of water. And as we've discussed here before, I do not drink a drop, that is, of water. Literally makes me nauseous. I have no idea when my infinity for fire festered. We camped every summer with my Grandparents in their Winnebago. It was my job during the daily journey to spot out a place on the map to camp. To there we would drive and my Grandpa spent what felt like hours getting the whole cruiser level. Out of all those times, and all those trips, I never ever remember having a campfire...? Still the best place to camp ever? The KOA at the base of Mount Rushmore.
 
I have lived without fire in my daily life for almost 6 years.
Prior to that I was quite the woods woman. Every fall it was my job to stock the garage for the winter supply. This encompassed a 40 foot long 5 foot tall, 4 foot wide stockpile of the stuff. It needed to be gathered, split, hauled, emptied out of truck bed and stacked strategically. And I willingly did it, for the better half of 10 years. The fireplace was massive and a large child could fit inside. The hearth was raised 18 inches off the ground to provide space underneath for storage. Packed tight, the wood could keep an inferno ignited for the better half of 24 hours. I faced that fireplace with field stones hand picked from the front yard. Each one manipulated and mortared into a perfect balancing act.
I spent hours in front of that fireplace, and still remember the first day I sat there with Annie. A new pup in a new home. I make a mean S' more also.
 
So after a particularly long Polar Vortex last year, and too many days logged low on the mercury this year, P decides to buy a wood burner. I'm ecstatic, and know Exactly where, and how it should be positioned. That was about 2 months ago. You see with P, and his Dad, you have to bring a new idea to them at least 3 times before they actually start to think it may be a good idea. We know we can't go super huge, because our room size is smaller. We also had to consider, what may have been in this home a hundred or so years ago and try to honor her. So we decide on a model and I'm holding out for the one with the gold door and gold legs. After all, stainless is SSSooooooo 2004. Upon installation, the gentlemen let us know that we are the only people under the age of 60 that they've ever installed the gold model for. That's Perfect , I say.
 
So tonight as I sit here, steaming next to the stove, sipping on some spicy whiskey, I bid you many warm nights, and tell that stove to
Burn Baby Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment