Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Dress & A talk about Doors

I can't think of a more perfect time of year for this discussion. 
As we head into the holiday hustle and bustle, and when you will come into contact with more people a day, than sometimes all month. And naturally, I think I'm more than qualified to have a talk about this common problem.
 
Doors.
Not a very glamorous topic, but sometimes we need to go part PSA on this little Bloggity. I have luckily had many door opened or me in my day, figuratively and literally. P still opens the door for me daily, and I know it's more of a gesture about him, than me. But when I'm not with him, there's room for all kinds of error.
 
Let's get into the mechanics first. Since the invention of the hinge, there is a direction dictated for all doors. There is a left swing and a right swing. If you've ever tried to match a pair of antique doors, you'd know that having one of each is imperative. Now here's the Really important part: When retailers build stores, they assume your hands will be empty going in, and on the way out your hands will be chock full of packages! Therefore: You will Pull a handle(towards you) going IN, and PUSH a handle going out, or push the door open with any available appendage.
 
Being in a retail store daily, I cannot tell you the Hundreds of times daily I hear someone pull our massive door towards them in hopes of heading out. Typically every 3-4 months the door needs to be serviced for being half way off the hinges. I'm positive, absolutely sure, that even if we made a nice little pre-printed, made- to -order "Push" sign, it most definitely would get missed. Even the Mom and Pop grocery store we go to up north has a standard modus operandi. The door entering the store is a push IN(advertised also), but on the way out there is an automatic door that opens when you walk over the mat approaching the door. The door opens automatically, because there is no way you could reach the door to open it over you Full cart. It's comical to watch people go to the door to enter and just stand there, waiting for it to open!
 
Elevator doors are a whole other story.
Thankfully, my regularity for riding in one of those capsules is relatively low. Let's go back to Manners Class 101: People riding in the elevator, have the ABsolute right of way when exiting. People waiting to get on are to stand beside the door opening, until all have exited. Each time I ride one of these things I am exasperated at the times my feet have been run over by a stroller, stepped on, or bumped into, by someone who clearly was in a bigger hurry than me. I have had to squeeze myself out sideways in order for the stroller brigade to by-pass my right to exit. I can assure you, allowing me to exit swiftly will be a small expenditure of time compared to the compromise we'll have to go through if you insist on getting in before I get Out.
 
So this holiday season, Hold Open a Door,(pull In) stand by the side of an elevator, and remember, that you are not the only one going Out, or coming In.

No comments:

Post a Comment