Sunday, September 28, 2014

Seeing Stripes, and People you'd rather Not

It's Something that happens to Everyone.
Think about the last time you saw someone, you Really didn't Want to. Not just casual caught from the corner of your eye. Smack, right in front of you, cannot avoid, Run into. This is the reason that I have been deliberately private on select social media sites, and definitely absent from any type of "Reunion". My thought has Always been, If I Really wanted to still be in contact with you, I would. Somehow the need to break bread with someone I didn't like in my past, doesn't appeal to me. And I have an extremely hard time trying to be interested in hearing updates about these people. These are the things that are the bloodline of this little Bloggity. No matter what the timing, or how prepared you are, you're Never ready. Your always left with the feeling like you may have just eaten rotten food and you wonder how long it will be before it comes back to haunt you. There's 2 ways to handle it. I've used them both with results that were unrewarded.
 
1. You Can Hide. And by hide I mean, you let the person in front of you know that years earlier you were in a motorcycle accident and your long term memory has been a bit off ever since. When they ask and say, "Aren't you,, or didn't we used to go to,,," Just admit, Yes, this is who I am,, and "who are You again???" All and maybe some of this is true. I try to exit stage right immediately following this interaction as I'm Sure they can see right through the story.
 
2. You can take the High Road. You can be the one to approach, let bygones be bygones, and extend you hand and smile. You can forget that maybe indeed you actually hated this person, and Hey, why hold onto That for your next lifetime. Get all Kumbaya with it. Just be prepared at this point the person Will ask about you, and "What are You doing" and all that non-sense meanwhile preparing what canned response they'll give you. That is, If you ask. I suggest not. Move along little doggies...
 
I hated High School. Ok hate Is a strong word, but I really freakin' disliked it. In a "I'm never gonna use this sh*t, let me outta here so I can go learn what I wanna" . Insert every Math teacher you'd Ever met, sparring in an argument with you about how Geometry is Essential in pattern making. Nope. You loose. Geometry is Not an essential skill for this girl, unless I need to make a space shuttle re- orbit and well then I'll call Ed Harris to figure it out. Heck,, I'm on a Roll tonight!! Back to the school thing. Yup, aside from my 3 other girls in my 4x1 relay team, or the other 12 leotard loving gymnasts I spent 4.5 hours with every day, I hated it. Funny thing is, no one in high school tells you that you were meant for better things.
 
To make matters worse, there was The Girl. Or maybe unfortunately several girls that made the routine of it all religiously horrible. So I have seen this Girl now with regularity. I have moved cross country, came back, built a life and home at Least 45 minutes away and she haunts me. Haven't seen her since graduation day and Now I have to be near her weekly!!? This was one of the girls that I traded math homework for, in turn for writing her love letters from her "Boyfriend" for years. (Read Blog: Love Letters). And on a Sunday to boot. No family, no friends, no plans. Other than just to creep around and invade my Nirvana. This was the girl that dumped bleach into other girl lockers during gym class and ruined their clothes. This is the girl that used permanent marker to draw on someones grey shorts the coordinating body parts that lay underneath said shorts and what should be "improved on". This is the girl that apparently had such deep seeded ugliness inside, she just had to let it spill onto others.
 
So you probley dying to know which route I decided to take.
I have chosen the road unpaved. This monster doesn't deserve to hear about my motorcycle accident. And there's No way I can take the high road with This One. In all of the speeches I have prepared for when running into ex's(I've got a few doozies!!) I have nothing to say to this someone. Even though there are many miles between what she did years ago, I still see Red lights when she's near. And today I was Seeing Stripes, and People you'd rather not.

No comments:

Post a Comment