Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ruffle my Feathers

I should be more gracious. I really should. I believe that 90% of the time I may come off as such, but inside, know there is an inner turmoil brewing. I cannot stop thinking the things we are all thinking, and now cannot stop using this Blog as a vehicle to discuss such "things".
This week was, if you didn't already know my "birthday week". Yes, not "day", "week". It actually started last weekend when P and I got outta town for a few days. If you've ever known someone with a birthday in August, or been in a relationship with one, you'd know that Birthdays are a National Holiday round' here. And if you've ever known a Leo that Didn't like their birthday?? Well clearly there had to be Something wrong with them.
I will be the first to admit: I am the pressure cooker when it comes to expecting people to plan Something for the big day, err..week. Yes, I want the Ferris wheel, the circus And the balloons(mandatory). And on cue, every year, about a week to ten days before, I get outwardly very anxious about weather or Not my "special someone" is going to make as big of a deal out of it as I'm expecting there to be. I'm here to tell you: No One has Ever outdone themselves over my expectations. Just bein' honest. If it wasn't completely dis- heartening, I would plan my own party.(typical Leo control freak)
 
So the big day comes and I can almost hear the foul trumpet noise as my telephone starts buzzing...Yes, Here it comes, the Dreadful, the half-ass attempt, the almost mandatory "Happy Birthday" text. The TEXT!!!(I'm making that awful Charlie Brown sound) Only to be outdone by the "Merry Christmas, or "Happy Turkey Day" mass text. And because you re all so thoughtful, I get to see everyone's canned responses. 56 "you too" or "Nice" or "Thank you!" texts later I'm ready to permanently go back to house phones. Sending a text to someone for a holiday including a birthday is a true representation of the thoughtless individual you are. Yes, we all know your SSSoooo busy, you cannot possibly pick up the telephone, or,, send a card??What's that?
 
I'm known for my 4 minute voicemails, and I do believe also for my December 1st arrival of our Christmas card. I leave the extended voicemails, because, I Actually wanted you to hear my voice. I wanted to let you know how excited I was about something, or maybe just that I thought of you. If it takes me 4 minutes to enunciate that, does that make me a bad person, or just a serial voicemail-er? I hand make and mail Christmas cards, because It's What you do People!! And I only send out 30 because this isn't Facebook and I don't need 900 "Friends". And speaking of Facebook, sending someone a Facebook Happy Birthday is Just as half-assed. Thanks Zuckerberg, for giving us all a reminder, that people we Really don't like have been born, and we want them to know we wish them a Happy Birthday, and we want other people to see how many other people wanted them to know that as well. Stupid.
 
My own sister And P send me the Happy Birthday text. I graciously thanked my sister for adding to the ammunition for a future blog post. She reminded me that she doesn't voicemail or send cards. She just e- mails and texts. I congratulated her on her developed skill set of communication and what a wretched human she must be to talk to. Next time there comes a holiday in your life, do us all a favor, and actually speak to the people you Really care about. "I really should have sent that text" Said No One, ever.
 As you can see, my feathers have been more ruffled discussing this topic, than the layers on the buttercream cake that my Mom made herself, for me, on my Birthday. No text included.

No comments:

Post a Comment