Saturday, June 14, 2014

Peas & Carrots

"All I need is 2 minutes, I'll know right away".
This is what I told the man that had her. He wasn't a stranger and the destination had seen me before.
See, 4 years prior I had gotten her sister from another litter .He opened the garage door, and there she was. Shy, skeptical, full of freckles and a little fearful. She was tiny. I could fit my hands around her entire body. Her breastbone protruded out of her chest so sharply, I was afraid the skin would tear.
I told him tearfully, I would take her. I needed her, and she needed me.
 
Annie Francis Bean was born.
Well, she was birthed 8 months prior, and came with her first name, but I embellished gratuitously. She lived on a farm just out of town about 40 minutes. She was running with about 12 other dogs and the only food she saw was what she could wrestle from the barn floor when the dog food bag was spilled open. For the first 4 months that I had her, she would squirrel away mouthfuls of food and hide them throughout the house. I was beginning to think I had a rodent problem, until I caught her one day. Then we began eating together, and I stayed with her until she was finished, and assured her there would be more.
 
Annie really isn't a nice dog, and I warn people of that when they first meet her. I mean, of course she's a nice dog, quite possibly my best yet. She is loyal, to a fault. But around other people, or especially people she doesn't know? Forget about it. She's the sheriff, the deputy, and the gatekeeper. A few years back she even took a nip out of the back of the postman's pants, and I was scared for days I was going to jail for allowing my dog to injure a federal employee. I was ready the following day with fresh cookies. When I asked the postman how his leg was, he completely shrugged it off and laughed about being taken down by a basset hound! Whew!! She has moved with me 3 times in the last 5 years. And for those of you with pets, you know that routine to them is their Zen. And their surroundings, their safe spot. Annie has taken up residence in each house with ease, and found the watchtower of each abode where she can preside over the kingdom. She knows immediately when someone walks by the house, windows closed and drapes shut. I think she can feel them.
 
P and Annie were able to bond during a stint of travel for me. Looking back, I can't believe I actually let her stay with him. but somehow they worked out their differences, and he apologized to her for not even knowing what kind of dog she was. They regularly now take trips to Starbucks on the weekends when I'm working and get Pupperchino's(whip cream in a baby cup for doggies in the drive- through!) Annie has to share our household with her younger brother Buster. She let him know right away how it would all go down, and Do Not Even think about going near her kibble. About a year after we moved in with P and Buster, Annie ran after another dog one morning and across the busy street. I was running as fast as I could after her (4 4- inch legs actually move surprisingly fast) and was watching as a car came speeding down the hill. The car ended up hitting her, before she got to the other dog. Imagine watching your dog get hit by a car, and your running as fast as you can to stop it =The stuff nightmares are made of. Somehow, miraculously, and thankfully, my little dog did a tuck and roll, and just ended up under the front bumper. One of the many advantages of having a 14 inch tall dog.
 
See, I would have taken the hit for her. Willingly. She is the first thing I think of in the morning when I wake, and the last kiss I give before bed.I've never known the love of Motherhood with a child, and of course, there must be a difference?? I'm sure ya'll with kids will school me in that. But for now, I'll always choose the company of my dog, than the distraction of other humans. And I think Annie feels the same way.
That's why we go together: like Peas & Carrots
 

No comments:

Post a Comment